hush little baby..don't you cry.!

Everywhere I go on campus (TAMU) with my 22-month-old daughter I am asked, "how do you do it?" How do I raise a child while pursuing a bachelors degree?  In reality raising a child alone is not rocket science for me; rather it's an act of love and obtaining a degree is my only means of providing for her.

Sleepless nights are only the beginning of what is the best awful job; motherhood. Nothing compares, at least to me, to the heart-warming smile Emma (my little girl) shoots at me in the mornings. Every tantrum, smelly diaper, ketchup stain on the comforter, and spilled meal is nothing compared to the happiness that her love brings to me.

I made a conscious decision to leave her father when she was one; with that in mind I took upon me all of the responsibility that raising a child entailed. A college education is crucial if I want to give her a better quality lifestyle. Better according to who? Well, I can't remember who told me this but, we as adults should always strive to do better than our parents. I was raised by two hard-working illegal immigrants who dedicated their entire adult life's to working, paying taxes, and instilling in their girls to get an education; that was the only way to "become someone in life."

Realizing that you are in a love-less relationship and what is keeping you there is your child is frighting. After years of emotional and physical abuse I decided to leave. It has been by far the hardest thing for me to do but the smartest. Turns out I did not have much of a choice. I had to leave.

The transition to College Station was a turbulent one. Prior to finding the cheapest apartment possible within walking distance to campus was the least of my troubles. Looking for a trustworthy daycare was the real challenge. Initially I had to resort to depending on a stranger I "meet" through Craigslist baby-sit Emma. Was that the smartest choice? No. It was my only choice.

Academics is definitely challenging. Who has time to read chapters, take notes, go to supplemental instruction, test review and what-not when you have to cater to a toddler? Somehow I do. There is no special formula I just make a list of things I have to get done and do them.

Yeah, being a full-time student at a nationally recognized university is not easy but then again what in life is? So if you are still wondering, "how do I do it?" The answer is simple; I take it day by day, think of tomorrow, and look forward to the future.

Comments

  1. ps. excuse the absence of an editors eye. per the tittle of this blog, "thinking out loud" i will ramble on and on about whatever is running through my mind at that specific point in time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts